Trump admin didn't want Ebola-exposed Americans, sent them to Berlin, Prague
Trump admin didn’t want Ebola-exposed Americans, sent them to Berlin, Prague
特朗普政府不愿接收接触埃博拉病毒的美国人,将其送往柏林和布拉格
An American infected with Ebola is being treated in Berlin, while another exposed to the deadly virus is being sent to Prague after the White House reportedly resisted allowing citizens to return to the US for care and monitoring. 一名感染埃博拉病毒的美国人正在柏林接受治疗,而另一名接触过该致命病毒的人则被送往布拉格。据报道,白宫此前曾抵制让这些公民返回美国接受护理和监测。
According to The Washington Post, five people close to the Ebola response said that, over the weekend, the Trump administration resisted allowing the return of Peter Stafford, a 39-year-old surgeon working in the Democratic Republic of the Congo amid a raging Ebola outbreak. The resistance allegedly tethered Stafford’s evacuation and care, risking his health, as experts note that early treatment is critical for Ebola, which can turn deadly in days. 据《华盛顿邮报》报道,五名接近埃博拉疫情应对工作的人士称,上周末,特朗普政府抵制让彼得·斯塔福德(Peter Stafford)回国。斯塔福德现年39岁,是一名在刚果民主共和国埃博拉疫情肆虐期间工作的外科医生。据称,这种抵制行为延误了斯塔福德的撤离和护理,危及了他的健康,因为专家指出,早期治疗对于可能在几天内致命的埃博拉病毒至关重要。
On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Stafford had developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive for Ebola late Sunday. In a press briefing on Wednesday, Satish Pillai, the CDC’s incident response manager for the Ebola outbreak, said Stafford had arrived in Germany and is in stable condition. His wife, Rebekah Stafford—also a doctor who was exposed to the virus in DRC but is asymptomatic—along with the couple’s four children, have been flown to Germany as well. 周一,美国疾病控制与预防中心(CDC)表示,斯塔福德在周末出现了症状,并于周日晚间埃博拉病毒检测呈阳性。在周三的新闻发布会上,CDC埃博拉疫情事件响应经理萨蒂什·皮莱(Satish Pillai)表示,斯塔福德已抵达德国,目前情况稳定。他的妻子丽贝卡·斯塔福德(Rebekah Stafford)也是一名医生,她在刚果民主共和国接触过该病毒但目前无症状,她和这对夫妇的四个孩子也已被送往德国。
Another doctor, Patrick LaRochelle, who worked with the same Christian missionary group as the Staffords, called Serge, was also exposed to the virus but remains asymptomatic. He is being transferred to Prague for monitoring and care. According to the Post, his wife and children, who were with him in the DRC, were flown to the US after the CDC concluded that they had not been exposed to the virus. 另一名医生帕特里克·拉罗谢尔(Patrick LaRochelle)与斯塔福德夫妇在同一个名为“Serge”的基督教传教组织工作,他也接触了病毒,但目前没有症状。他正被转移到布拉格接受监测和护理。据《华盛顿邮报》报道,他的妻子和孩子在刚果民主共和国与他在一起,但在CDC认定他们未接触病毒后,已被送回美国。
“Did not want him”
“不想要他”
The Ebola outbreak, caused by the uncommon Bundibugyo virus strain, was first confirmed on Friday and has quickly escalated to a public health emergency of international concern, according to the World Health Organization. On Friday, there were 246 suspected cases and 65 deaths; the latest numbers, as of Wednesday, from WHO stand at 528 suspected cases and 132 deaths. 据世界卫生组织称,由罕见的本迪布焦(Bundibugyo)病毒株引起的埃博拉疫情于周五首次得到确认,并迅速升级为国际关注的突发公共卫生事件。周五时,疑似病例为246例,死亡65人;截至周三,世卫组织的最新数据显示,疑似病例已达528例,死亡132人。
It’s unclear when US officials learned of Stafford’s exposure, but upon receiving the information, a back-and-forth discussion on his evacuation began. “The president and his people did not want him back in the United States,” one source told the Post. Another confirmed, “They would not allow him to be transported to the United States.” Trump has previously criticized decisions to bring American Ebola patients back to the US during earlier outbreaks. 目前尚不清楚美国官员是何时得知斯塔福德接触病毒的,但在收到消息后,关于他撤离的讨论便开始了。“总统和他的团队不希望他回到美国,”一位消息人士告诉《华盛顿邮报》。另一位消息人士证实:“他们不允许他被运回美国。”特朗普此前曾批评在早期的疫情中将美国埃博拉患者带回国内的决定。
White House spokesperson Kush Desai denied that the administration didn’t want to accept Stafford and attacked the Post. “This is absolutely false and another reason why the Washington Post is no longer worth the paper it’s printed on,” Desai wrote in an email. He said the Trump administration’s top concern is ensuring the health and safety of citizens and praised the quality of the German hospital treating Stafford. 白宫发言人库什·德赛(Kush Desai)否认政府不愿接收斯塔福德,并抨击了《华盛顿邮报》。“这完全是虚假的,这也是《华盛顿邮报》不值一读的又一个原因,”德赛在一封电子邮件中写道。他表示,特朗普政府的首要关切是确保公民的健康和安全,并称赞了治疗斯塔福德的德国医院的医疗质量。
The US has multiple centers and hospital systems with specialized facilities capable of providing safe, high-quality care for Ebola patients. In the press briefing on Wednesday afternoon, Pillai repeatedly dodged questions about the US refusing to allow Ebola-exposed Americans to return home for treatment and care. He also failed to explain how Germany and the Czech Republic—not known for expertise in dealing with Ebola—were chosen for caring for the Americans, or if any other countries were asked to take them and refused. 美国拥有多个中心和医院系统,配备了能够为埃博拉患者提供安全、高质量护理的专业设施。在周三下午的新闻发布会上,皮莱多次回避关于美国拒绝让接触埃博拉病毒的美国人回国接受治疗和护理的问题。他还未能解释为何选择德国和捷克共和国(这两个国家并非以处理埃博拉病毒的专业知识而闻名)来照顾这些美国人,也未能说明是否曾请求其他国家接收但遭到拒绝。
At one point, when asked directly if the White House had made the decision to refuse Americans, Pillai responded: “Right now, what I would say is that the plans for these individuals that have moved were made based on the conditions on the ground, the need to rapidly mobilize—as you know, this was a very rapid set of circumstances that unfolded over the weekend. And so, what I can tell you right now: this is what the situation was and this is how we responded as quickly as we could.” 当被直接问及白宫是否做出了拒绝美国人回国的决定时,皮莱回应道:“目前,我想说的是,这些转移人员的计划是根据实地情况和快速动员的需要制定的——如你所知,这是周末发生的一系列非常迅速的情况。所以,我现在能告诉你的是:这就是当时的情况,我们尽可能快地做出了反应。”
Travel restrictions
旅行限制
In addition to sending Americans elsewhere for care and monitoring, the US has introduced travel restrictions related to the Ebola outbreak. Americans arriving from DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan will undergo health screenings, while non-US passport holders who have traveled in those countries in the past 21 days will be barred from entry. 除了将美国人送往其他地方接受护理和监测外,美国还针对埃博拉疫情实施了旅行限制。从刚果民主共和国、乌干达或南苏丹抵达的美国人将接受健康检查,而过去21天内曾前往这些国家的非美国护照持有者将被禁止入境。
In a statement Tuesday, Africa CDC responded to the restrictions, saying its “position is clear: generalised travel restrictions and border closures are not the solution to outbreaks. Such measures can create fear, damage economies, discourage transparency, complicate humanitarian and health operations, and divert movement toward informal and unmonitored routes—potentially increasing public health risks rather than reducing them.” 非洲疾控中心周二发表声明回应了这些限制措施,称其“立场明确:普遍的旅行限制和边境关闭并不是解决疫情的办法。此类措施可能会制造恐慌、损害经济、阻碍透明度、使人道主义和卫生行动复杂化,并将人员流动引向非正式和不受监控的路线——这可能会增加而非减少公共卫生风险。”
Jean Kaseya, Africa’s CDC director general, added: “The fastest path to protecting all countries in the world is to aggressively support outbreak control at the source. Global health security cannot be achieved through borders alone. It is achieved through partnership, trust, science, and rapid investment in preparedness and response capacity.” 非洲疾控中心总干事让·卡塞亚(Jean Kaseya)补充道:“保护世界各国最快的途径是积极支持从源头上控制疫情。全球卫生安全不能仅靠边境来实现。它是通过伙伴关系、信任、科学以及对准备和响应能力的快速投资来实现的。”