Canada will match US tariffs 'dollar for dollar' as trade talks break down
Canada will match US tariffs ‘dollar for dollar’ as trade talks break down
随着贸易谈判破裂,加拿大将对美国关税采取“对等”反制
Canada says it will match US tariffs ‘dollar for dollar’ as trade talks break down. 加拿大表示,随着贸易谈判破裂,加拿大将对美国关税采取“对等”(美元对美元)的反制措施。
A fresh wave of US tariffs on a wide array of Canadian goods came into effect on Saturday after a last-minute breakdown in trade talks. 在贸易谈判于最后一刻破裂后,美国对多种加拿大商品征收的新一轮关税于周六生效。
Announcing the suspension of negotiations shortly before the Friday night deadline, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said he would impose reciprocal tariffs on US goods “dollar for dollar”. 加拿大总理马克·卡尼(Mark Carney)在周五晚间截止日期前不久宣布暂停谈判,并表示将对美国商品征收“对等”的报复性关税。
Carney said “last-minute changes in the US proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal”. 卡尼表示:“美国在最后一刻提出的条款变更既不公平也不符合经济逻辑,这让人质疑任何协议的可靠性。”
Trade negotiators had been engaged in intense talks since July, after President Donald Trump threatened to impose a 50% levy on nearly $20bn (C$28bn; £14bn) of Canadian imports by 19 August. 自7月唐纳德·特朗普总统威胁要在8月19日前对近200亿美元(约合280亿加元;140亿英镑)的加拿大进口商品征收50%的关税以来,贸易谈判代表们一直进行着紧张的磋商。
Trump had temporarily paused those tariffs earlier in the week, saying the two sides were close to signing a trade deal that was “very good” for both countries. 特朗普在本周早些时候曾暂时搁置了这些关税,称双方即将签署一份对两国都“非常好”的贸易协议。
But minutes before the deadline for a deal, Carney said that while “important progress” had been made in the talks it was “not enough to meet our objectives for Canadians”. 但在协议截止日期前几分钟,卡尼表示,尽管谈判取得了“重要进展”,但“不足以实现我们为加拿大人设定的目标”。
“As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the US and have directed negotiators to return to Ottawa,” he said. 他说:“因此,今晚我决定暂停与美国的贸易谈判,并已指示谈判代表返回渥太华。”
After Carney’s announcement US trade representative Jamieson Greer said in a statement: “Tonight, Canada declined to finalise the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier than this week.” 在卡尼发表声明后,美国贸易代表杰米森·格里尔(Jamieson Greer)在一份声明中表示:“今晚,加拿大拒绝按照本周早些时候商定的条款敲定贸易协议。”
“Despite the US offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days.” “尽管美国向加拿大提供了我们市场中任何主要出口国所能享有的最佳待遇,但加拿大提出的新要求以及对其他承诺的撤回,打破了过去几天达成的微妙平衡。”
The breakdown in talks marks a significant shift in tone from earlier in the week, when both US and Canadian officials sounded optimistic that a trade deal beneficial for both countries was within reach. 谈判的破裂标志着本周早些时候基调的重大转变,当时美加双方官员都对达成一项对两国都有利的贸易协议表示乐观。
Negotiators were reportedly discussing a deal that would reduce US tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium from 50% to 25%, and on Canadian autos from 25% to 15%. 据报道,谈判代表此前正在讨论一项协议,旨在将美国对加拿大钢铁和铝的关税从50%降至25%,并将对加拿大汽车的关税从25%降至15%。
In exchange, Carney had asked Canadian provinces to restore US alcohol to store shelves. The breakdown of the talks puts the US-Canada relationship in uncharted territory, and will be a major test for Carney’s premiership. 作为交换,卡尼曾要求加拿大各省将美国酒类重新上架。谈判的破裂使美加关系进入了未知领域,这也将是对卡尼总理任期的一次重大考验。
The two countries have developed one of the world’s most deeply economically integrated trading relationships, and Canada sends approximately 70% of its exports south. 两国已经发展成为世界上经济一体化程度最高的贸易关系之一,加拿大约70%的出口产品销往美国。
But tensions between the two major trading partners have been simmering since Trump returned to office in January last year and unleashed a wide-ranging global programme of tariffs, upending decades of free trade between Canada and the US. 然而,自特朗普去年1月重返白宫并启动广泛的全球关税计划以来,这两个主要贸易伙伴之间的紧张关系一直在酝酿,这颠覆了加美之间数十年的自由贸易。
Now that talks have broken down, Canada will be hit with new 50% US tariffs imposed by Trump using a Depression-era law called the Tariff Act of 1930. 随着谈判破裂,加拿大将面临特朗普利用1930年《关税法》(一项大萧条时期的法律)所征收的50%新关税。
They will be applied on a range of goods, about 5% of Canadian exports, including wine, dairy, cement, clothing and hockey equipment. 这些关税将适用于一系列商品,约占加拿大出口总额的5%,包括葡萄酒、乳制品、水泥、服装和曲棍球装备。
The new levies are in addition to existing tariffs the US had already imposed on Canadian steel and aluminium, autos and lumber. 这些新关税是在美国此前已对加拿大钢铁、铝、汽车和木材征收的关税之外额外增加的。
Businesses and stakeholders on both sides of the border had pushed for a deal to be reached, arguing that the new US tariffs on Canada will be harmful to both countries. 边境两侧的企业和利益相关者此前一直推动达成协议,认为美国对加拿大征收的新关税将对两国造成伤害。
In a statement, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce called the tariffs “a body blow to North American competitiveness”. 加拿大商会在一份声明中称,这些关税是“对北美竞争力的沉重打击”。
“For a small Canadian exporter operating on tight margins, this isn’t an abstract trade dispute. It means looking at your orders, your payroll and your employees and asking what you can still afford,” said the chamber’s president Candace Laing. 商会主席坎迪斯·莱恩(Candace Laing)表示:“对于利润微薄的加拿大小型出口商来说,这不是一场抽象的贸易争端。这意味着你必须审视自己的订单、工资单和员工,并思考你还能负担得起什么。”
Canadians have told pollsters that they are willing to fight for a good deal. A recent survey by firm Abacus Data suggested that around 36% of Canadians would support retaliating to US tariffs, while another 30% would want the Carney government to continue negotiating. 加拿大人在民意调查中表示,他们愿意为达成一项好的协议而抗争。民调机构Abacus Data最近的一项调查显示,约36%的加拿大人支持对美国关税进行报复,而另有30%的人希望卡尼政府继续谈判。
The prime minister will need to convince Canadians that the economic pain is worth the cost of standing up to the White House in search of a better agreement in the long run. 总理需要让加拿大人相信,为了从长远来看争取到更好的协议,承受目前的经济痛苦是值得的。
Canada could lose 90,000 jobs if the new tariffs were implemented, according to estimates in an analysis published on Thursday by Calgary-based economist Trevor Tombe. 根据卡尔加里经济学家特雷弗·汤姆(Trevor Tombe)周四发表的一项分析估计,如果实施新关税,加拿大可能会损失9万个工作岗位。
Financial analysts have projected the new 50% tariffs could reduce the country’s GDP by 0.3% to 0.6%. 金融分析师预计,新的50%关税可能会使该国GDP下降0.3%至0.6%。
Doug Ford, premier of Canada’s most populous province Ontario, said “the prime minister has my full support for a strong response - tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar”. 加拿大人口最多的省份安大略省省长道格·福特(Doug Ford)表示:“总理在采取强硬回应方面得到了我的全力支持——关税对关税,美元对美元。”
Ontario, which has a large manufacturing and auto sector, has been among the hardest hit of Canada’s provinces in this trade dispute. 拥有庞大制造业和汽车业的安大略省,是此次贸易争端中受打击最严重的加拿大省份之一。
The economies of Quebec and British Columbia are also going to be especially exposed to the new tariffs. British Columbia Premier David Eby said in a statement on Friday night that “our politeness should never be mistaken for weakness”. 魁北克省和不列颠哥伦比亚省的经济也将特别容易受到新关税的影响。不列颠哥伦比亚省省长戴维·埃比(David Eby)在周五晚间的一份声明中表示:“我们的礼貌绝不应被误认为是软弱。”
“We didn’t ask for this, but we’ll keep fighting for as long as it takes.” “我们没有要求发生这种情况,但我们会坚持抗争到底。”